Apple Inc. announced the 16th major release of Macintosh Operating system or macOS by the name of “Catalina”. It is the successor of macOS Mojave, which is the previous release of macOS. Catalina was introduced at The Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) on June 3, 2019, So it’s initial release held later on October 7, 2019. In this article, I will show you how to install macOS Catalina on VMware using Microsoft Windows, in very short and easy steps.
You can install any operating system inside Windows. If you are a Macintosh user also you install and you other operating systems on your running operating system. This feature is called virtualization, which allows you to use IT services on bound hardware. Simply, it allows users to use the full capacity and capability of a machine by distributing among the user environment.
There are three popular virtual machines, that you can use for virtualization. The first one is Microsoft Hyper V. It came with windows 8. So if you are using lower then Windows 8, you should try other Virtual machines. Take a heed mac users because you cannot use Hyper-V. It is developed just for Windows users. Certainly, there are other Virtual machines that both macOS and Windows users can use. Like VMware and Virtual box, which are handy and user-friendly. Bear in mind, for installing any operating system you need the ISO or image file.
- Best Printer for macOS Catalina – Best Printer For mac.
- How to Update macOS Catalina to the latest Version on VMware?
What is ISO or Image Files?
The ISO file is often known as an image file. It is an archive file, that contains a copy of the entire content of an optical disk drive sector by sector. The name ISO is taken from ISO 9660 used with CD-ROM media. Well, ISO 9660 is a system file for optical disc media. It was published by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
What is the Benefit of using a Virtual Machine?
Virtual Machine allows you to install a complete, actual and separate operating system on your usual operating system. So, you would not need to spend money on the extra systems or peripherals. It is just software implementation of that of a machine. Some benefits of using a virtual machine are as bellow.
- Running multiple Operating systems: You can install and run more than one operating system on your actual machine using any virtual machine. If you are a networking student, you can practice any operating system such as macOS, Linux, windows or other on your single PC.
- Workflow flexibility and easy to recover: Many times on actual operating systems you face many problems, such as installation error and other software errors. Don’t worry, because VM or Virtual Machine gives you an option named “snapshot”. This is very handy, Just take a snapshot when the installation of any operating system is complete. After facing any error or problem in further installation of softwares and other tasks, you would not need to reinstall or delete the OS. Just run the snapshot and OS will start-up from the specific step, where you captured snapshot.
- Data backup by VM: Inside, Virtual Machines business can store and backup their data at a time. Bear in mode, VM is not locally hosted, but it keeps data in VM which is also accessible by the Internet. Because you can use the VM operating system’s features as your actual operating system features.
Features of macOS Catalina
As Apple Inc. updates softwares or releases the new version of OSs or softwares, It improves the older features or adds new features to make them better and more useful. So, Here is some feature of the latest macOS “the Catalina”.
- Apple Music, Podcasts and TV: Apple announced the end of iTunes. This new trio feature officially announced at WWDC 2019. Well, this is better than iTunes, because it is “flashing fast” and also offers a library of “50 million songs, playlist, and videos”.
Apple tv supports 4k, HDR and Dolby atoms as well as offers more than 100,000 iTunes movies and TV shows which are available. It is fortunate that Apple Music Users still have access to the iTunes Music store.
Apple Podcasts is a catalog of shows. It contains over 700,00 shows. You can search for Podcast episodes by the host and watch them.
- SideCar: This is the feature, which attracts me. Because in macOS Catalina Apple offers you second screen support for iPads. It allows Mac users to resort to their iPad as an assistant to their Macs.
The 2nd use of sideCar is for artists as they can use their iPads are drawing tablets while connecting to Mac. And using an Apple Pencil to draw and figure things on their iPad surface.
- Photos App update for better Organization: Apple brings improvements to the Photo App. The most extraordinary improvement is in the organizing of the photos.
The app has new changes in large photo preview and auto-playing video while scrolling through the library. Now the photo app can remove the low-quality and duplicate pictures.
- Time Screen: This new feature is eye-catching. You manage your activities on time. Though, you can limit the use of apps by limiting time. This feature helps you save your time.
How can I get MacOS Catalina?
Catalina is available in Apple App Store. The size is up to 8 gigabytes. Use a reliable internet connection to download the file. Also, you can download the image or ISO file from other sources. I will publish another post with a direct download link of the iso image of macOS Catalina soon in the coming days.
Softwares You need for installing macOS Catalina
For installing macOS Catalina on VMware you need high-performance PC alongside, higher Hard disk drive and RAM space. Because It is heavier than preceding mac operating systems such as macOS Mojave.
Behold, to install macOS Catalina on VMware on Windows. You also need to download and install three softwares on your PC, such as macOS unblocker, 7 Zip or Winrar and VMware Workstation Pro. The reasons for installing these are defined below.
- macOS unblocker: For installing macOS you should enable the VMware Workstation operating system option called “Darwin tool”. It will fix the VMware Workstation problems and the missing files. For enabling this Darwin tool you have to install macOS unblocker.
- 7 Zip or Winrar: These two softwares are used to compress or decompress files. They can protect your files for viruses and also can encrypt the file by a password. But here we use 7 Zip or Winrar to decompress the Catalina VMDK file.
- VMware Workstation Pro: VMware is the Virtual Machine on which we are going to install the operating system. Well, the latest version of Workstation is available. You can download the trial version for free or purchase the complete version, from the official website of VMware Workstation.
How to install macOS Catalina on VMware on Windows?
First of all, install VMware Workstation on your PC. Then download the macOS Catalina image file. And Just follow the below steps.
The basic step before installing OS
1: Right-click on the zipped file named “Catalina Virtual Disk Image”
2: Navigate and Select “Extract Here”.
3: Click in “Extract Here” to extract the image file.
Note: After extraction of the image file, you may not find the macOS file. Therefore, you should download and use the macOS unblocker software. After downloading the unblocker software, extract that. Right-click on “Win-install” and click on “Run as administrator”. Then a black screen will appear to wait till 100% of downloading should complete and then windows will close automatically.
Create a new Virtual Machine for macOS Catalina
Here, you have completed the essential steps before creating a new virtual machine in VMware.
1: Now open “VMware Workstation”.
2: Click on “create a New Virtual Machine”.
3: Click on the circle beside the “Typical (Recommend)”.
Note: If you are new to VMware Workstation select “Typical (Recommend)”. If you are not rookie you can select “Custom (Advanced)” and configure your new Virtual Machine manually.
4: Select “I will install the operating system later”
5: Select “Apple Mac OS X” as the guest operating system.
Remember: The macOS Catalina is not available in the list in this version of VMware Workstation. Though, there will not be any problem during installation.
6: Name Your Virtual Machine “MacOS 10.15”. And Click on “Browse” to specify the location you want to store the files of macOS Catalina 10.15 and click on the “Next” button.
7: Specify the storage size according to your data needs and plan. And Select “Store virtual as a single file” and click next.
Note: This is your final step on the configuration.
Edit Virtual Machine’s the Performance for macOS Catalina 10.15
For Better performance of any operating system, you should edit virtual machine’s options. With these options, you can increase or decrease using RAM space, Storage space and much more.
1. Click on”Edit Virtual Machine Setting”.
2. Click on the Hardware tab and Goto Memory and Increase the memory from “2GB to 4GB” for better performance.
3. Click on Processor and increase processor number and core from 1 to 2.
4. Select Hard disk and click on the remove button down below to “Remove” the current Hard disk.
5: Click on the “Add” button to add the new Hard disk.
6. Select “Hard Disk” from the given list “Hardware types” then click “Next”.
7. Select “SATA (Recommended)” from hard disk type and click on “Next”.
8. Select “Use an Existing Virtual Disk” and click “Next”.
You should Insert the MacOS Catalina VMDK File.
9. Click on “browse”, and find the folder where you extracted the macOS Catalina VMDK file and click “Open”.
10. Click on “Keep Existing Format”.
Click on the Options tab.
11. Select “Microsoft Windows” for Virtual Machine Name.
Note: The versions must be “Windows x64”. Be sure that you have performed all the changes step by step.
Alter macOS Catalina VMX File
While macOS installation in VMware, you face problems like graphical issues and lagging issues. VMX is a complete macOS operating file that solves all these problems and issues. Here you should bring little changes to the VMX file.
1. Open the folder you have selected for macOS Catalina files. Open the macOS Catalina virtual machine folder, and right-click and click on open with notepad.
2. When the file is opened. scroll down and add Smc.version = “0”.
Note: If the Smc.version=”0″ did not work add Smc=0 (without double quotations).
Now Install macOS Catalina on VMware
Every step for creating the virtual machine in VMware is complete. Only a few steps are remaining to install and use macOS Catalina.
1. Click on “Power on this virtual machine”.
Note: Do not do any click wait until Apple logo bypass, unless it will get stuck.
Now macOS Catalina is starting up. And installing on VMware Workstation. Stay patient and wait for it. Although the speed is dependent on your system’s performance and speed.
Once again you should edit the virtual machine.
2. Click on Edit the virtual machine and click on the options tab, move to the virtual machine name and select “Apple Mac OS X” and click “OK”.
3. Power the virtual machine.
4. Select the region and click on “continue”.
- Select your keyboard and language and click on “continue”.
- On computer data and click on “continue”.
- Select don’t transfer any information right now and click on “continue”.
- Click on “sign-up later” and click on “skip”.
- Agree to the terms and conditions of macOS and click on “continue”.
- Create an account for your computer and click on “continue”.
- On express set-up again and click on “continue”.
- On Analytics again and click on “continue”.
- Onscreen time and click on “continue”.
- Now, wait for the final setting of macOS Catalina for the very first-time use.
- Finally, macOS Catalina is successfully installed on Virtual Machine Vmware Workstation Pro.
This article is all about how to install macOS Catalina on VMware using windows. And, It contains all information and guidance about the macOS Catalina installation. So, Just by following these steps, you can install macOS Catalina on VMware on windows. So, Stay tuned and have a blast.